In this blog, we’ll explore the impact of voice search on small businesses, why it deserved our attention, how to go about adapting your content and how brands are currently implementing this technique.
What is voice search?
We are stepping into the new revolution in the digital marketing world which is called voice search. The trend has a greater implication for businesses in 2019 as it becomes a part of people’s everyday life. So, what is the meaning of this new terminology that could catch the interest of the world’s population?
Voice search basically is the voice recognition technology that allows users to make searches through speaking up to voice assistants in their mobile devices. The interaction between the user and device is authorized by the digital assistants such as Apple Siri, Alexa, Google Now, Google Assistant, Cortana. According to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, in the nearest future brands will need to implement the strategy of having their own agents talking to customers directly across various digital assistants.
Now let’s have a look into the quick statistics that will bring a deeper insight into this trend:
- According to the Search Engine Journal (2018) people mostly use voice search on their mobile devices and thanks to the AI technology the accuracy of voice recognition is nearly 95%.
- Mediapost statistics (2018) illustrate that in the nearest future, more than 30 percent of searches will be completed screen free.
- Statista, Location World figures (2018) demonstrates that 31 percent of smartphone device owners worldwide use voice technology at least once a week.
- ComScore estimated that 50 percent of all online searches will be voice-based by 2020.
- In its tech predictions and beyond, 28 percent of customers in 2018 call the first business they found throughout the voice search digital assistant. (Source: Bright Local)
- In June, 2018, IProspects surveyed more than 1180 adults in the UK and found 15 percent use voice search in mobile devices.
- According to Google (2018), two third of 3000 surveyed customers are using voice search.
- UK voice search business is forecasted to be worth more than 3.5 billion by 2022. (Source: Econsultancy)
- YouGov research in the UK (2018) claims, 1 in 10 Brits own a portable smart-speaker (nearly 6.6 million people).
- Google has already sold 5.4 million Google Home devices in 2018. (Source: Canalys)
What does Voice search mean to your business?
This method is quite different and challenging compared to the traditional search method. Basically, when the customer wants to hear a result of his/her question, there is essentially one correct answer. Ideally, in voice search, there is one spoken result which brings more pressure to local businesses.
Traditionally, the marketers have spent many years to search for the perfect solution to improve site rankings on search engine results. In basic optimisation, you didn’t have to be number one in the ranking, but appearing on a page of the SERP’s would be measured as a win. However, voice search method changed this tendency and brought a new one to the market. Users are no longer being presented with different options. This means being number two or three is not good for your business. Because voice search has made a significant impact, you must be prepared to do some changes to your content. Understanding the specific need of your customer is searching for is vital in this stage of success.
Proper optimisation should be considered during what is typed and what is spoken. Essentially, businesses should focus on more natural and basic language. Basically, when we are speaking, we are using more words and longer keywords rather than when we are typing on the search engines. While voice search is not a traditional search any time soon, local businesses should optimize their websites, adjust their marketing strategies and implement new SEO techniques that would impact their ranking positively.
Here we are introducing some important tips and strategies on how to optimize your website:
- Focus on Long-tail keywords. You should consider focusing on long tail keywords rather than short tail ones. Meanwhile, along these same lines, you should also be prepared to analyze your content and deform it into question-based searches. Perfectly, you want your content to have appeared in answer box which is likely to be returned during a voice search.
- 02. Check your site speed and security. This is one of the most important points should be considered in voice search. If your website does not load properly, your business is not going to show up in voice search result of the customer. That would be a bad experience for your business. If we analyze some statistics, according to Backlinko, 70.4% of Google Home result pages were security with an important security certificate, HTTPS and SSL. So, if you want to be a winner in this game, you should go to HTTPS or secure your website. Further, the reputation of your site matters in this case. A business with a lower rating is not going to show up for voice search which brings a lot of trouble. So, make sure you pay attention to the ratings of your business and get the signals from the social signals as well.
- Optimise your Google My Business profile. Completing your Google My Business profile is essential for showing up at the top list of the voice search of the customer. Make sure its content, images, information about your business section are completed accurately. Especially, if you are a local business, you should be really good at Google My Business listing. Google is investing more time and money on adding new features that are beneficial for businesses, so we strongly suggest to pay attention to what they offer. Do not forget to upload eye-catching photos, respond to enquiries, engage with Google posts and promote your products/services.
- Use Google Assistant accurately. Google Assistant is the program which is designed for looking at local businesses nearby. So, modifying your local SEO strategy to Google Home is crucial. There is a new feature of this program which is called Duplex, where you can basically ask “Hey Google, find me the nearest Italian restaurant and book a table for 7 pm this evening”. So, your staff need to understand how this technology works and how to respond to this enquiry. Further, using your Google Home in your smart TV, you will be able to order your late-night pizza right away from your television. This is the time your business should feel the future and act on it.
- Featured Snippets. Featured snippets are selected search results that are prioritized on the top of Google’s organic results, right under the ads in the box. So, they aim to answer your question directly which means being featured is the exposure of your brand. Creating the content that is correct, authorized and informative can create an opportunity for your business to be spotted by Google and to be the answer to the question of the voice searcher.
Does your current SEO strategy ready for the next level in technology?
In today’s digital area more than one billion voice searches happening each month. What does this mean to your business if you do not follow this new trend? This tool is becoming more popular as more consumers are using it a day-to-day basis to find new products and services. So, can you imagine what is going to happen if your business ignores voice search? You are going to ignore a new source of profit! Further, you are going to lose your visibility among your competitors in the market. That’s why today, businesses pay attention to this new standard of new service in digital marketing in order to retain their customer portfolio. Whether you a small a startup or a large cooperation, you should give the chance to your target customers to find you. If not, they are going to switch to another brand. Plus, according to the recent surveys, we could summarize that customers want the businesses to use voice search. Moreover, users also want to get information about promotions, deals and sales from their favourite brands through their digital assistants. Customers basically do not want to waste time to type and look for dozens of options instead of hearing the best option available for them. Hence, voice users are demanding the companies to use voice search method to buy their product or service. If you want to boost your sales, voice search optimization is the best way to do so.
So, what to do in the next stage?
You should be calm for now because this is not an emergency alarm. But it is time to do some preparations before your business starts to lose attention online. How could you do it?
We are going to share some useful points to focus on:
Firstly, be realistic about the process and see if voice search engine optimization fits your business at some point. If you think that all of these devices like Siri, Google Home, Alexa are useless, go and get one and try it by yourself. You should be able to understand how this technology work and what kind of search results they would be able to return. You need to emphasize your SEO strategy for now and how to modify it in the future using these smart devices. So, you should focus on what can we do now to prepare for the continuous rise of voice search trend, AI and digital assistants. There are several techniques, SEO strategies that can be explored by your business today that will increase your visibility among the customers when performing voice searches. Digital marketers should do an SEO audit for your company’s website and determine the gaps in this field. They should make sure that your current strategy is fully optimized for voice queries from your customers.
There is a lot to manage when it comes to optimizing for voice search. It is the right time to invest in your digital marketing strategy now. The new technology would inevitably bring more new opportunities for growth.
Ok, Google, how do I get a start on voice search?
The Big Marketing is a London based digital marketing agency that helps its clients to grow their business and brand name in digital platforms. In The Big Marketing Agency, we work with small, medium sized businesses to achieve their commercial goals through solving their digital marketing problems in a professional manner. We are committed to receiving maximum customer trust and satisfaction. Before we start the work, we are doing a brief SEO audit in order to understand the current situation and delivering the most precise possible solution available. If you want help on how to make your SEO strategy more dynamic, accurate, we are here to help. No matter what industry your business in, we can help you exceed the competition in the market.
- Brand & non-brand query audit
- Content Landscape Analysis
- Optimise for local
- Mobile-first approach & indexing
- Structured data mark-up – Featured snippet optimisation
- App development (Alexa Skills, Google Now)
- Reporting on Google voice search, Amazon voice search and other key sources
- Knowledge graph optimization
To get a free competitor analysis, SEO audit and learn more about voice search from our SEO specialists at The Big Marketing Agency, contact us online today! Or you could use the opportunity and send us an email to the team: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Author: Elnara Naghiyeva.